See for yourself why Maryland is the land of opportunity. Here you will find facts about our state including the people, infrastructure, technology and research that make Maryland a great place to locate or grow your business.
Explore the counties of Maryland
Are you a fan of the mountains or the ocean? How about rolling hills or the Chesapeake Bay, a mecca for sailing and seafood? Maryland's locations offer a little bit of everything. Within this diversity, the highly developed Baltimore-Washington corridor in central Maryland gives way to more suburban and rural regions to the east and west, dotted with more than 150 charming towns and small cities.
Use the interactive map below to learn more about the state's 23 counties and the city of Baltimore. Interested in seeing how the counties compare to each other? Visit our new Maryland Data Explorer tool.
Learning more about Maryland
- Maryland Economy – Get up to speed on Maryland's basic economic facts including gross state product, median household income, workforce numbers and demographics.
- Business community – Check back here often for monthly updates on Maryland's new and expanding businesses. View lists and maps for major employers by county and federal, military and defense facilities.
- Taxes – Learn about Maryland's competitive and fair rates on corporate taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes, and personal income taxes.
- Quality of Life – You work hard. You want balance. In Maryland, you'll find a quality of life that includes a thriving art and music scene with dozens of museums and theatres.
- Transportation – Whether you prefer to go by plane, train, boat or truck, you have plenty of options. Maryland's transportation infrastructure features the Cheseapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean, major East Coast distribution routes and proximity to the nation's capital.
- Workforce – Looking for a state with skilled workers? Maryland has the highest proportion of doctoral scientists and engineers in the nation and the second highest concentration of professional and technical workers among the states.
Maryland's industry clusters are at the forefront of innovation and technology, fueling economic growth and opportunity. Check out these industry profiles for a Maryland industry contact, snapshot, top employers/sales and resources.
Rankings and Statistics
- Maryland Data Explorer - Compare counties within Maryland or see how Maryland stacks up against other metro areas and states.
- Rankings - Choose from rankings that include workforce, R&D, entrepreneurship, new economy, government & business support, education, income & wealth and quality of life.
For Maryland in a "snapshot", download the Brief Economic Facts.