Maryland's information technology industry thrives on a concentrated and collaborative environment spurring innovative communities in cybersecurity, information technology, interactive technologies and communications. A strong network of research and education resources and a highly educated and talented workforce stimulate myriad opportunities for new and expanding businesses.
Maryland's 11,440 information technology businesses are annually awarded $9.92 billion in federal contracts and generate $37.79 billion in economic activity, making it one of the nation's leaders and a major economic engine for the state.
Maryland is the Epicenter of Cybersecurity
Commercial, military, workforce, federal, education, and research and development resources converge in Maryland.
Federal and Military Strength
- 12 Major Military Installations
- Home to the U.S. Cyber Command
- 50 Federal Agencies
- Defense Information Systems Agency, National Security Agency and NIST
- National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence
Investing in Cybersecurity
Education and Workforce
- 16 Colleges are NSA Certified Centers of Academic Excellence
- Top Rated Public Schools for 5 Years Running
- #2 Nationally in Professional and Technical Workers
Cyber Warriors and Trailblazers
- Accuvant, CSC, KEYW, KOOLSPAN, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, RedOwl Analytics, SafeNet, Silent Circle, Sourcefire, and Tenable to name a few.
- 30 Business Incubators Growing Maryland's Future Cyber Leaders
If you'd like to learn more about the cybersecurity industry or get better connected to the cyber community in Maryland, contact:
Executive Director of Cybersecurity Development
Jeffrey Wells at (410) 767-6662.
Cyber Collaboration Manager
LaToya Staten at (410) 767-1381.
Featured Company: ZeroFox
Baltimore-based ZeroFOX is a cloud SaaS security and intelligence provider that helps enterprise and government customers proactively identify, monitor, and prevent risk. Leveraging algorithmic learning technology, ZeroFOX identifies malicious actors, threats, and focused attacks connected with your organization and users across social media platforms and networks.
- Employment (2013) - 128,370 private sector jobs (137,250 including public sector)
- Leading Subsectors:
- Computer systems design and related services - 68,100 jobs
- Research and development - 22,000 jobs
- Telecommunications - 15,300 jobs
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing - 6,400 jobs
- Business establishments (2013) - 11,440
- Total wages (2013) - $13.80 billion
- Average salary (2013) - $100,560
- Gross state product (2012) - $37.79 billion
- Federal procurement (FY2013) - $9.92 billion
Top 10 Employers