Maryland is a premier location for life sciences companies. With one of the nation’s largest clusters, a community of more than 2,000 life science businesses have unparalleled proximity to leading federal institutions such as the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Standards and Technology and the Food and Drug Administration. More than 90 percent of the life sciences companies and strategic partners are located within one hour of each other. Companies also can take advantage of two-hour access to 80 percent of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry.
The state is a major recipient of National Institutes of Health research and development dollars, and Johns Hopkins University is first in the nation in total NIH awards. The state’s 2,120 life sciences organizations generate $16.99 billion in economic activity.
The BioMaryland Center, an office within our Department, connects life sciences companies, academic and federal researchers with each other and with potential sources of capital, partners, clients and other resources.
- Access capital
- Refine your business strategy
- Find a business location
- Develop partnerships
- Grow your workforce
- Gain visibility for your business
- Expand your network
If you are relocating your company, looking to launch a new startup or expand your life sciences business, contact the BioMaryland Center at (410) 767-0505 (Baltimore office) or (240) 314-6171 (Rockville office).
Stay up to date with the BioMaryland Center by joining the email mailing list!
Featured Company: Harpoon Medical, Inc.
Stevensville-based Harpoon Medical, Inc. is a development stage medical device company commercializing a minimally invasive surgical tool to repair the mitral valve and eliminate mitral valve regurgitation.
- Employment (2013) - 35,590 private sector jobs (40,710 including public sector)
- Leading subsectors:
- Research and development - 20,300 jobs
- Testing, medical and diagnostic laboratories - 7,000 jobs
- Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing - 6,900 jobs
- Business establishments(2013) - 2,120
- Total wages (2013) - $3.77billion
- Average salary (2013) - $92,480
- Gross state product(2012) - $16.99 billion
- Federal procurement (FY2013) - $260 million
Top 10 Employers