Maryland is a smart, spirited state that ranks first in the nation for innovation and entrepreneurship (U.S. Chamber of Commerce) where everything is possible. Whether mapping the human genome, cultivating the epicenter of cybersecurity, engineering solutions for global climate change, or manufacturing critical components for the unmanned, autonomous and sensor community, companies in Maryland excel.
Bambeco CEO Susan Aplin talks about why Maryland is an "excellent choice" to locate a business, citing the port, thriving clean energy industry, the Maryland Venture Fund, technology incubators and successful consumer product brand powerhouses like Maryland's home-grown Under Armour.
First to set specific STEM education standards, Maryland's students placed #1 in AP success for nine consecutive years. It's simple — we invest in our workforce, encourage entrepreneurship and reward innovation.
- # 3 public school system (Education Week)
- # 3 in holding down the cost of college tuition
- # 2 in investment in human capital (Milken Institute)
Work with the Best
Here you can grow and sustain your business with a highly-skilled workforce that designs space telescopes, provides world-class healthcare, develops life-saving vaccines to protect against anthrax, and combats cybersecurity threats.
- #1 employed doctoral scientists and engineers per 100,000 workers
- 2nd among U.S. states in the percentage of professional and technical workers
- 16 NSA Certified National Centers of Academic Excellence for cybersecurity
Extend Your Reach
Outstanding logistics and transportation infrastructure that includes highway, air, and one of the nation's busiest international deep-water ports — a Maryland location means rapid market access to grow your business.
- Next door to Washington D.C.
- 3 Hours from NYC
- Overnight trucking access to 1/3 of the U.S.
- Port of Baltimore – closer to Midwest than any Atlantic seaport
- Post-Panamax super-sized cranes
Imagine the Possibilites
Maryland's exceptional concentration of mature and emerging enterprises provides unlimited possibilities—think of it as the best of all worlds. A leader in Biotechnology and Cybersecurity, the business landscape is also dividing and multiplying at an exciting rate in areas like Ed Tech, Advanced Manufacturing and never-imagined applications of satellites and UAS.
- Top tech state — #2 in State Technology and Science index 2014 (Milken Institute)
- National leader in the manufacture of analytical laboratory instruments
- World's leading center of UAS activity — Naval Warfare Center Aircraft Division
Research to Reality
The sheer amount of research and development, coupled with robust funding opportunities, provides Maryland's entrepreneurs with the important support they seek to generate patents and commercialize their products.
- 400 ground-breaking research centers
- 50 federal agencies and 12 major military installations
- 2nd in federal R&D obligations with $15.6 billion annually
|Defense Information Systems Agency||National Cancer Institute at Ft. Detrick|
|U.S. Food & Drug Administration||National Security Agency|
|Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab||Aberdeen Proving Ground|
|National Institutes of Health||U.S. Cyber Command|
|National Institute of Standards & Technology||Naval Air Station Patuxent River|
|National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence (NIST)||Joint Quantum Institute|
A Great Place to Call Home
You work hard. You want balance. Here, you'll find a thriving art and music scene with dozens of museums and theatres. Foodies will enjoy everything from our legendary steamed crabs to haute cuisine, microbreweries and wineries. If the outdoors are your thing, then you'll enjoy kayaking, hiking, sailing, surfing, skiing or exploring the scenic byways. Choose Maryland — we think you'll agree it's a great place to call home.
Jump Start Your Business
Whether you are a veteran, a minority, or an emerging entrepreneur we want to help you start and grow your business. Our business representatives at the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development can connect you to available resources and help you find the right programs for your business.
Browse this site to learn more or call us today at 1-888-ChooseMD/1-888-246-6736.