The mission of the Maryland State Arts Council is to encourage and invest in the advancement of the arts for Maryland citizens. Created in 1967, the 17 members serve up to two, three-year terms.
Barbara Bershon was elected Chair of the Maryland State Arts Council in June of 2012. She has served on the State Arts Council since 2008. Bershon is the founding Executive Director of the Chesapeake Orchestra in Southern Maryland. She is a member of the Advisory Board of the Leonardtown (Maryland) Arts Center. For many years Bershon served as Director of Arts Outreach at St. Mary's College of Maryland and the Managing Director of the River Concert Series at the College. She is a past president of the St. Mary's County Arts Council. Bershon earned her Ph.D. in Human Development from the University of Maryland and has served as an Adjunct Professor in Psychology at St. Mary's College of Maryland and American University in Washington, DC.
- Carole Alexander; President, Carole R. Alexander Consulting
- Lora Bottinelli; Executive Director, Salisbury University's Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art
- Eric Conway, D.M.A.; Director, Morgan State University
- Nilimma Devi; Founder/Director, Sutradhar Institute of Dance & Related Arts
- Susan Farr
- Margaret Footner; Executive Director, Creative Alliance
- Melony Ghee Griffith; State Delegate, 25th District Maryland, General Assembly
- Nancy Graf
- Richard S. Mandaleno, Jr.; State Senator, 18th District Maryland, General Assembly
- Shelley Cole-Morhaim
- Susanna Nemes; President/CEO, Social Solutions, Intl
- Carol Trawick; Vice-Chair, The Trawick Foundation
- Carla DuPree
- Kathy O'Dell, Ph.D.; UMBC
- Sandy Oxx
- Gary Vikan
Keena Stephenson, Council Liasion
Maryland State Arts Council
175 W. Ostend St., Suite E
Baltimore, MD 21230
Click here for meeting schedule.