To stimulate and coordinate investment in the commemoration of the bicentennial of the War of 1812 for maximum benefit to Marylanders. Governor Martin O'Malley created the commission in 2007 to plan a multi-year cultural tourism and educational initiative to commemorate Maryland's unique contributions to the defense and heritage of the nation, including the pivotal clash that ensured American victory, an iconic flag, and our national anthem, The Star-Spangled Banner.
Seven Advisory Committees have been established to assist the Commission. They are: Development and Sponsor Relations, Resource Stewardship and Visitor Experience, Education and Curriculum, Programs and Events, Transportation and Capital Infrastructure, Communications and Marketing, and Operations and Management.
Raymond A. "Chip" Mason is the founder and former Chairman, President and CEO of Baltimore-based investment firm Legg Mason, which he founded at age 25. A graduate of William and Mary, Mr. Mason has chaired the Securities Industry Association, the board of governors of the National Association of Securities Dealers, the United Way of Central Maryland Campaign, the Maryland Business Roundtable for Education, and the Greater Baltimore Committee.
- Rushern Baker; County Executive, Prince George's County
- Honorable Stephanie Rawlings-Blake; Mayor, Baltimore City
- Honorable Michael Busch; Speaker, MD House of Delegates
- Atwood "Woody" Collins, III; President/COO, M&T Bank Mid-Atlantic
- T. Eloise Foster; Secretary, MD Department of Budget & Management
- Joseph Gill; Secretary, MD Department of Natural Resources
- Richard E. Hall; Secretary, MD Department of Planning
- Dominick Murray; Secretary, MD Department of Business & Economic Development
- Honorable Thomas V. Mike Miller; President, Maryland Senate
- John Smith; Secretary, MD Department of Transportation
- J. Scott Plank; War Horse
- Paul S. Sarbanes; U.S. Senator (Retired)
- J. Michael Schweder; President, AT&T Mid-Atlantic Region
- Albert Small; President, Southern Engineering
Bill Pencek, Executive Director, War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission
Maryland Department of Business & Ecomomic Development
401 E. Pratt St, 14th floor
Baltimore, MD 21202